1 16 ounce loaf supermarket French or Italian bread (thin crust and light and fluffy)
1 T butter
8 large eggs
2 1/2 c whole milk
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1 T sugar
2 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
Topping
8 T butter softened
1 1/3 c packed light brown sugar
3 T light corn syrup
2 c coarse chopped pecans
1. Tear the bread into 1-inch pieces and toast it on 2 baking sheets until dry and light golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let bread cool completely. (325 degree oven)
2. Coat 13-by 9- inch baking dish with butter and pack dried bread into the dish. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until combined and then whisk in milk, cream, granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread and press on bread lightly to submerge.
3. FOR THE TOPPING: Stir butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup together until smooth, then stir in pecans.
4. TO STORE: Transfer topping to airtight container and wrap dish tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate topping and casserole separately for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
5. TO SERVE: Adjust oven rack to middle position and hear oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap casserole and sprinkle topping evenly over top, breaking apart any large pieces with your fingers. Place casserole on rimmed baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden, about 1 hour. Serve immediately.
I love this dish. I have made it twice and all of my family (those currently residing under my roof thought it was a bit soggy. In fact the second time I made there were some grumbling complaints. Which I of course ignored. I will not tell you which direction they came from because any further discourse may not be nice, and this is a NICE recipe blog) Anyway be sure that you do bake it long enough and I simply loved it!!! So there!!!
Plus it is great for company and I love nuts!!!
Wow mom. You know how to make a blog post? I am WAY impressed. My only comment: pictures! I need pictures of these delicious dishes : )
ReplyDelete