Monday, August 24, 2009

Blondies have more fun


Mom, your blonde brownies sure found their way into Jared's heart fast, but these tasty treats may have taken over.

The recipe is as follows... but I of course adapted it because #1 I never have all the ingredients on hand #2 I can't read an entire recipe correctly. Ever.

1/2 c old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1/3 c whole wheat flour (no wheat flour so I used wheat germ and flax seed)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c + 2 Tbs butter (what's the extra 2 tbs for? I just left them out of each)
3/4 c + 2 Tbs dark brown sugar (And mixed reg brwn sugar w/ white)
1 lg egg
1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c slivered almonds, divided (I found walnuts to be just as tasty)
(I may have even added chocolate chips...)
directions: heat oven to 350. Coat 8X8 baking pan with cooking spray and line bottom w/ foil, leaving a 2'' overhang on 2 opposite sides. Spray again on foil. Put oats in food processor and pulse until finely ground. Whisk together oats, flours, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside. Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat. Stir in sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, stirring, until smooth, 1 to 2 min. Pour into large bowl. Add egg, vanilla extract, and reserved dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in 1/4 c of the almonds. Pour batter into prepared pan, spread evenly with spatula and top with remaining 1/4 c almonds. Bake until a wooden pick inserted off center comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, 18-20 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment