Thursday, December 19, 2013
Buche De Noel (Yule Log)
Cake Roll
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 t vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa (I use at least 1/2 cup or more)
1/4 t salt
powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a jelly-roll pan (10 by 15 inch pan) with wax paper; grease the paper.
Prepare the cake roll: Beat eggs in mixer bowl on high speed till thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Beat in water and 1 teaspoon vanilla on low speed. Sift together flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt; add to egg and sugar mixture, beating just till batter is smooth. Pour into jelly roll pan. Bake for 15 minutes. I start checking mine at about 10 to 11 minutes. You don't want the cake overdone! Cool 5 minutes Turn out onto a dish towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Remove wax paper and roll cake and towel from short end; cool.
Prepare the filling: Beat whipping cream with 1/4 to 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 t vanilla. Sometimes I use almond extract as well. Fill the cake with whip cream and roll it up.
Decorate: I love this part! Cut maraschino cherries in half and use mint leaves and cherries to create a holly look. Dust with powdered sugar. Fantastic!
Side note: Since moving to Utah the elevation kind of messes with my baking so I add 1/4 cup water and 1/4 flour to my cake. You can adjust according to your attitude or your altitude...which ever gives you the most trouble! Enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment